Being in the flower industry, friends and family are always asking us for interesting flower trivia. In our Flower of the Month editions, we've included small tidbits of relevant flower facts but we decided to expand on it and include more in our blog! That way, when you're looking for different conversation starters, you know what to say!
Our April Flower of the Month edition was all about Yellow Roses and For May, we're focusing on White Lilies. We did some research and here are several other fun facts about these two particular flowers. If you like what you're reading, stay tuned! We'll continuously share more of this flower knowledge the months go by.
- Roses are symbols of love and beauty.
- Rose hips (the berry-like fruit structure of rose) of some species of rose are amongst the richest source of Vitamin C. They are used to make jams, jellies and also brewed for tea.
- Two thousand flowers of rose are needed to produce one gram of rose oil.
- In Chinese herbal medicine, some species of rose are used to treat stomach problems.
- Lilies derive their name from the Greek root 'lirion', meaning "true,white".
- Some lilies can withstand adverse conditions such as pests, diseases and frost.
- Lilies were used in the 17th century to treat snake bites & sore muscles.
In China, Japan and Korea, certain species are grown for their edible bulbs which are starchy and considered to be a luxury or health food.